Sunday, April 1, 2012

Review of Pioneer Woman's Sausage and Pancake Corn Dogs

I love Pioneer Woman's blog and FoodNetwork show! Recently she had an episode about breakfast for dinner where she made these delicious Pancake and Sausage Corn dogs. I gave them a go this morning. I had to do a few things in preparation for this. My skewers were too long and I had to cut them in half. I used a serrated knife to score each one and then broke them in half. It works better to score the sticks all the way around before snapping.
They don't look perfect but they taste great!


I also wasn't sure about how much oil I needed.  I ended up using about 3-4 inches in a Cuisinart pan with high sides. Next I prepared the sausages. I used Jone's brand links. For the batter I used an Complete Pancake Mix and Jiffy cornbread mix.
This is after the carnage!





My only criticism about the whole recipe is that it make a whole lot of batter. I made 12 and it easily could have made dozens. I used a pair of tongs and a slotted metal spoon to turn them.

Here is the recipe:

Sausage Pancakes on a Stick

16 sausage links (I used one box of Jones')
3 cups Pancake Mix (I used a Complete store brand)
1 cup yellow cornmeal (I used Jiffy)
sprinkle of cinnamon
1 egg beaten
1/2 tsp vanilla
3 cups water (I wasn't paying attention and used FF milk)
canola oil (about 3-4 inches)
chopsticks (I used skewers)
syrup for serving

Brown the sausage links per package directions. Let cool. Insert the skewers into the sausages about 2/3 of the way.

In a bowl combine the pancake mix, cornmeal, cinnamon. Add the egg, vanilla, and milk. I added one cup of milk at a time. The batter should be thick enough that it will adhere to the sausage. I added about 2 cups of milk and then a half at a time.


Heat the oil in the pot to about 350 degrees. Drop a pinch of batter into the oil and it should rise to the top.

Dunk the skewered sausages into the batter. I also used a spoon to make sure they were completely covered. Add to the pan and let sit for a minute or two. Turn over using a tongs and slotted spoon. I didn't have much of a problem with sticking. The corn dog will release itself when it's getting brown. Or you can gently coax it with the slotted spoon. It took about 2-3 minutes per side.

Also you will need to adjust the oil up or down depending on how fast or slow the corn dogs are browning. I was able to fry about 3 at a time. I drained the corn dogs on paper towels and paper plates. I also changed the paper towel when I rolled them over.

All in all we liked this recipe. I think we may use it with some good ole Wisconsin Brats over the summer!


1 comment:

  1. The recipe calls for 3 cups of water but the directions say milk. Which is correct?

    ReplyDelete