Sunday, April 29, 2012

KFC Better Step It Up..Make Your Own Secret Recipe

I have not been very happy with my KFC as of late. They either don't have the chicken or we get it and it's cold and greasy. Not only that it's very expensive! A meal for four can cost around $20.00.

This week I decided to try a new brining recipe I saw on the Foodnetwork. I normally soak the chicken in buttermilk over night. The result was moist and delicious! I may not have the Col.'s original recipe but with a few spices I come very close.

Along with the chicken I made our favorite creamed corn recipe and some creamy mashed potatoes and gravy. My total price for 12 pieces of chicken, mashed potatoes, corn, and gravy, just under $9.00!

What equipment do you need? A cast iron skillet, tongs, paper plates, or a paper bag, paper towels,2-4 cups of flour, 2 baking racks, a baking sheet, and a lid to fit your skillet. And a husband to help with the dishes doesn't hurt!

Let's get this party started!

The Creamed Corn (adapted from the Neeley's recipe)

Once you try this you won't want corn on the cob again!

6-8 ears of corn soaked
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 cup water
2 TBSP flour
1 TBSP sugar
salt and pepper
2 TBSP bacon grease
1 pat of butter

We don't eat much regular bacon here so when we do we freeze the grease in 2 TBSP bags. Then we pull it out when the recipe calls for it.

Soak the corn with husks on in a sink full of water for 2-3 hours. This plumps up the corn. This is also a great idea if you were planning on putting the corn with husks on on the grill. Shuck and remove the silk from the corn and cut off kernels very close to the cob. Add corn to a large bowl.

Mix the cream, water, flour and sugar together. Pour over the corn and add to the warmed bacon grease in a frying pan. Turn the heat on low and let the corn mixture thicken for about 25-30 minutes. Give it a stir about every 5-10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper before serving. And add a pat of butter.  Serve with chicken or anytime!

This is the second batch

Fried Chicken

As I said previously I usually soak my chicken in buttermilk before dredging but found this idea on the Foodnetworksite also and decided to give it a try. Soak the chicken overnight in a large Tupperware container in the brine.

The Brine:
2 TBSP Salt
2 liters of water

The Chicken

10-12 pieces of chicken
2-4 cups flour
1 tsp salt
1 pinch Cayenne
1 tsp tarragon
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp garlic powder
2 cups oil (I used Canola)

I both fried and baked my chicken. My chicken pieces were huge!  With a tongs I remove the chicken from the brine and dredged it in the flour and spices I had waiting on a paper plate. Heat the oil in the skillet and pre-heat the oven. The oil should get to about 350-375 degrees. It is ready when it begins to ripple. Note: during the dredging you may also add the flour to a paper bag and add the chicken. Do the shake and they will all be evenly coated.

Add the chicken in batches. I fit about 6 pieces at a time. Fit with a lid and let fry for 15 minutes. With the tongs flip over and fry for another 15 minutes. You may have to adjust the temp. if you see the chicken becoming too brown. You may also have to change oil between batches if you see your oil becoming too dark.

Remove chicken from oil with a pair of tongs.
Check the breast for doneness. With a knife cut closest to the bone. The juices should run clear. If you see your chicken is a bit underdone, place on a baking sheet and bake for about 25-30 minutes. Remove to a cooling rack and season with salt.

The Gravy

I like to use this recipe when I make biscuits and gravy on Sunday mornings.

2 TBSP flour
2 TBSP oil or butter
2 cups milk

Add the butter or oil to a frying pan with the flour. With the whisk stir the flour until it becomes a light brown color. Add the milk and continue beating with the whisk until all the lumps are out. Keep stirring the mixture every few minutes until it thickens. Add a pinch of Montreal seasoning or salt and pepper to taste.









No comments:

Post a Comment