Thursday, April 26, 2012

Crock Pot Mac and Cheese

I found a new favorite show on the Foodnetwork. Trisha Yearwood has her new cooking show. So far I have made two things from her show and loved both. This one is a good alternative for when you are pressed on time. I made a few changes but the taste was still awesome. First here is my traditional mac and cheese I bake in the oven.


Easy Pleasy Mac and Cheese

1/2 box macaroni noodles cooked per package directions
1/2 block of a large Velveeta cube
1 cup milk
1 cup shredded cheese (I use a taco cheese)
2 TBSP flour
2 TBSP butter
1 squirt yellow mustard
salt and pepper

In a medium sized pot and on medium heat melt the butter and add the flour. Use a whisk to remove the flour from the sides of the pot so it doesn't burn. Brown for about 2-3 minutes. You are looking for a light brown flour. Add the milk and continue to stir with the whisk. Put the heat on low. Start adding the cheese cubes little by little and stirring. Then add the shredded cheese again stirring as you go. Bring the mixture to just below a boil. Add the squirt of mustard, salt, and pepper.

Remove from heat and add the macaroni noodles. You can serve it as is or go the next step. Butter a baking dish and add the mac cheese mixture. Top with bread crumbs. Bake for 25 minutes at 350 degrees.

Trisha Yearwoods' Crock Pot Mac and Cheese (from foodnetwork.com)



  • Cooking spray
  • 8 ounces cooked elbow macaroni
  • One 12-ounce can evaporated milk
  • 1 1/2 cups whole milk
  • 1/4 cup (1/2 stick ) of butter, melted
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • Dash of pepper
  • 2 large eggs, beaten
  • Two 10-ounce bricks sharp Cheddar cheese, grated (about 5 cups)
  • Dash of paprika


  • I cooked my noodles al dente' because I was afraid they would turn to mush.

    It is very important to spray the crock pot with cooking spray! In a large crock pot combine the cooked macaroni, 1 can of evaporated milk, 1 1/2 whole milk (I used fat free) 2 large beaten eggs. I also added salt and pepper. This is where I cut down... She uses 20 oz of cheese. I used 8 oz of shredded cheese. And it tasted great! The Paprika really didn't have any affect on the taste. If you want a zip you can add a pinch of Cayenne.

    Mix everything except for a half a cup of reserved cheese in the crock pot. Sprinkle the reserved cheese over the top and cover. Cook on low for 3 and a half hours.

    All in all I liked the taste and the convenience of having it ready when I came home.

     

    No comments:

    Post a Comment