Sunday, April 8, 2012

Easter Must Dos and Some New Recipes Too!



When you do something great why fix it? I am sticking with my glaze recipe for the ham which includes pineapple juice, OJ, and ginger ale.  I wanted something different for my devilled eggs so I pulled out a Rachel Ray recipe for Caesar devilled eggs. They taste exactly like the Caesar salad dressing. I will include my old recipe for fool proof devilled eggs.

Another standard is orange fluff. Instead of adding Mandarin oranges this year I added pineapple tidbits. I am also trying out a new Pioneer Woman Cherry Almond Crumble.

Let's get started. I am using a Cooks ham which is pre-cooked.
Mountain full of ham!

Ham Glaze:

I can pineapple rings (juice reserved)
1 cup OJ
1 cup Ginger Ale
cloves for ham

This is very easy!  Add all the ingredients except for the rings and cloves to a large bowl. Cut the ham skin in a checkerboard pattern first making your lines down. Then cut across and add cloves in each box. I also tac the pineapple rings to the side of the ham. Baste your ham about every 20 minutes or so using a baster. If the ham becomes too brown cover with foil. Mine bakes for about 25 minutes a pound.

I have made this recipe before for Caesar Devilled eggs. I will post my version first and then Rachel's. I am doing this from memory.

Fool Proof Devilled Eggs

12 eggs boiled
1/4 cup mayo or Miracle Whip
1/4 tsp mustard powder
1 pinch Cayenne mustard
1 squirt mustard
Paprika for garnish
salt and pepper

Add uncooked eggs to cold water and bring to a rolling boil. Set egg timer for 15 minutes and walk away. After 15 minutes remove from heat but let sit in the hot water for another 5 minutes. Run cold water over the eggs after the 5 minutes. You may have to change the water more than once to cool down the eggs. It is also better to use older eggs near their expiration date. For some reason they peel better.

Next cut the eggs lengthwise and scoop out the yolks into a medium bowl. With a fork break down the centers. Add the mayo, mustard, mustard powder, and Cayenne. Use a teaspoon to scoop the devilled eggs back into the whites. Try to get these to the table.


Caesar Deviled Eggs

Rachel Ray's Caesar Devilled Eggs

The recipe is Rachels but I adapted it for my own use so the measurements may not be exactly like hers. I believe this one is available on the foodnetwork site.

1/4 cup mayo
2 tsp anchovy paste
1/4 cup Parm cheese
salt and pepper
12 hard boiled eggs

Scoop out the yolks and add the mayo. Add the Parm, anchovy paste, and salt and pepper. Stir the mixture and add back to the egg whites with a teaspoon. She serves these with shredded Romaine on the top.
Cherry Almond Crisps

Pioneer Woman's Cherry Almond Crisps

Again I am adapting the recipe for my own use but you can get the original from http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2012/03/individual-cherry-almond-crisps/

Topping or crumble

1 stick and half of butter in chunks
1 cup flour
1/2 c sugar
1/2 c brown sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 dash nutmeg
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 c silvered almonds

Cherries:
48oz frozen tart cherries
1/2 c sugar
1/4 c cornstarch
2 tsp almond extract

 Pre-heat oven to 350.  Make the crumble with a pastry cutter in a medium bowl.  Instead of ramekins I am using a large baking dish. Add the frozen cherries, sugar, and cornstarch. Give a stir with the almond extract. Cover with the crumble mixture and bake for 45 minutes. I am making ready whip but this looks like it would be good with ice cream also.


Orange Fluff

Orange Fluff

You can use any flavored Jell-o you like for this recipe but I prefer the orange.

1 small box orange flavored Jell-o
1 8oz container Cool Whip
1 can drained Mandarin Oranges or drained pineapple tidbits
1 container large curd cottage cheese

This is extremely easy. Empty the cottage cheese, orange jello packet, and drained fruit into a medium sized bowl. Stir and fold in the cool whip. Chill until ready to serve.


 I hope everyone has a great Easter!





No comments:

Post a Comment