Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Tex-Mex Calzones for a Quick Dinner Tonight

I got this one in my inbox from myrecipes.com and it turned out really good so I wanted to share.

Tex Mex Calzones
8 oz ground turkey (I used hamburger)
1/2 c chopped onion
1/2 green and red pepper chopped
3/4 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/2 cup picante sauce

2 garlic cloves minced
1 11 oz pizza crust(I used the Pillsbury thin one)
3/4 cup Mexican blend cheese
cooking spray
sour cream

Preheat the oven to 425. Heat a large non-stick skillet to med high. Add ground turkey or beef. At this point I add the onion. Cook for 5 minutes. Add the bell and red pepper. Heat til veggies are halfway soft and meat is browned. Add the seasonings and picante sauce.  (I also drained the meat several times of grease.)

Unroll and divide the pizza crust into 4 6x4inch rectangles. Stretch the dough out to make it as big as possible. Place the meat mixture in half of each square. Top with a pinch of the cheese.  Fold over making sure none of the filling is on the edge you want to fold over on. With a fork prick holes in the top of each. Spray the top with cooking spray.
Bake for 12 minutes or until browned. Serve with sour cream.

This recipe was easy and filling and best of all I had everything I needed on hand.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, that sounds really good! I'll have to try it someday soon. Thanks for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete