Sunday, February 13, 2011

Greek Style Chicken with Feta and Kalamata Couscous

I was going to save this for Sunday dinner but I was at the point I really needed to use my chicken or freeze it. I did both. I used the breasts and drumsticks for my Greek style chicken and froze the thighs and wings for Arroz con Pollo later on in the week. For the recipe I also roasted a few potatoes in the pan with the chicken. I originally was going to make rice pilaf as a side but it didn't make it into my cart.

2 large chicken breasts
2 drumsticks (or use one fryer chicken)
1/2 cup olive oil
1/4 c lemon juice (bottled) plus
1 whole lemon juiced and sliced
1 TBSP Italian seasoning
Salt and Pepper
6 potatoes quartered with skins left on

Pre-heat oven to 350. In a small bowl add olive oil, lemon juice, Italian seasoning, and mix. Run chicken under water and pat dry. Season with salt and pepper. Wash and quarter the potatoes. Add potatoes to the bottom of a roasting pan and pour 1/4 of the oil mixture over the potatoes. Place Chicken pieces in between the potatoes and baste the chicken with the olive oil/lemon mixture. Top with the lemon slices. Place in the heated oven. Continue to baste the chicken every 15 minutes with the marinade. The chicken breasts I used were really big so I had to bake them for a hour and 15 minutes but you may start checking your chicken for doneness at the 45 minute mark. It is done when the juices run clear and the meat is a temp of 160 degrees.  Also when you baste the chicken give the potatoes a turn and salt them.

Feta and Kalamata Couscous

10 Kalamata olives (pitted are best)
1/4 c feta cheese
1 c couscous
1 c chicken stock
1 TBSP butter
pinch of salt and pepper

Boil the chicken stock. Add couscous and cover. Remove from heat and cover. Let sit for 5 minutes. After 5 minutes fluff with fork and add butter, feta, and Kalamata olives. Serve with the chicken.

No comments:

Post a Comment