Friday, February 11, 2011

Oldie But Goodies

My Grandma always used to make cabbage rolls when I was little. Unfortunatly she never left any of her recipes to me so through years of development I figured out a easy comparable sauce for my stuffed peppers. My mom used to use minute rice but I learned how to make long grain rice and have never looked back. That and I have about 15 more pounds of long grain rice to use!


Here is my recipe

4 medium sized green peppers(or one per person)
1 1/2 lb ground beef
1 cup cooked white rice
1 small can Campbells tomato soup
1 8oz can of tomato sauce
2 TBSP vinegar
1/4 cup water
Salt and Pepper

In a medium pan boil some water. Core and seed the peppers removing the membranes inside with a spoon. Use tongs or a fork to submerge two peppers at a time in the boiling water. Boil for about 10 minutes turning once so both the bottoms and tops have had time to soften. Remove peppers and drain on a paper towel. Let cool.

Pre heat the oven to 350. Mix the ground beef, rice, salt and pepper until combined. You can use more or less rice depending on the consistency you like. My hubby doesn't like the actual pepper so I put the meat on the side for him. Stuff the peppers to the top with the meat rice mixture.

Stir together the tomato sauce, vinegar, tomato soup, and water. Pour into a casserole dish. Add the stuffed peppers on top of the sauce. Top each pepper with some of the sauce. Bake for a hour. With a larger amount of meat in each pepper you may need to slice them in half to check for doneness. We like to serve them with buttered bread to sop up the juice and some rice on the side.

No comments:

Post a Comment