Sunday, February 20, 2011

Lazy Sunday Poached Eggs and Last Night's Dinner

This morning I had my second attempt at poaching eggs. I used a different pan this time. I made sure to put vinegar in the water (1 TBSP) and used a coffee cup to slowly pour the eggs into the water bath. I then let them sit there for a minute. Alton Brown from Foodnetwork says to let them go for 4 minutes. I cooked mine for more like 8. They were a bit firm on the outside but runny on the inside. I served them with some home style fried potatoes and toast. On paper plates because who wants to do dishes on a lazy Sunday?
Last night was a old favorite from Rachael Ray. I have modified it to my liking but am using Rachael's general idea. Here is my modified version:


Mexican Deep Dish Cornbread Pizza
2 packages Jiffy cornbread mix
2 eggs
1 1/2 c milk
1 c frozen corn kernels

Topping
1-2 lbs ground beef
2 TBSP Mexican chili powder
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp cayenne pepper
S& P
1/2 jalapeno seeded and finely diced
1 small onion diced
1 cup salsa reserve 1/2
1 c shredded taco cheese
1 diced zucchini
1 diced yellow squash
2 Roma tomatoes diced

Pre heat oven to 400. I made this in a cast iron skillet. Oil the skillet or use Pam to coat it. Mix cornbread mixes, two eggs, and milk with whisk until combined. Add frozen corn kernels and stir into the batter. Pour into cast iron skillet and bake until set about 15-20 minutes.

In the meantime brown meat and chopped onion draining grease and seasoning with salt along the way. When browned remove to a plate and brown the zucchini and squash in the remaining grease from the hamburger. When soft add the hamburger back to the skillet along with the jalapeno. Add 1/2 of the salsa to the meat mixture. Remove cornbread from oven. Pour the reserved salsa over the cornbread spreading out like you would pizza sauce. Next add the meat mixture and diced tomatoes. Top with the cheese. Bake an additional 10 minutes until the cheese has melted. You can add whatever veggies you like as long as you saute them beforehand. Makes 8 servings but I can usually squeeze 10 wedges out of it.

Easy Meat Loaf Muffins

1-2lbs ground beef or turkey
1 onion diced
1 box Stovetop stuffing mix
2 eggs
1 cup water
Salt and pepper

Set oven to 350. Combine the ground beef, onion, stuffing, and eggs. Start adding water to the meat mixture. You may not need the full cup. You want to make sure everything is moist. Add salt and pepper. Use Pam to spray the inside of a 12 hole muffin tin. Fill the tin with the meat mixture. I top mine with ketchup but you can also use tomato sauce. Bake for 35 minutes until no longer pink. I also drain the muffin tin of the grease before serving. Each serving is 2 muffins.

No comments:

Post a Comment