Friday, June 20, 2014

Tabbouleh Confetti Salad

I fell in love with tabbouleh a number of years back when it was brought to a party. Tabbouleh is made from bulgar wheat which is packed with nutrients. It has 5 grams of protein per serving and is very filling. It can be eaten with other Mediterranean dishes or on its own as a main dish. I will sometimes have it for lunch by itself. This salad includes tomato, cucumber, and mint that will cool down your palate. I sometimes add feta or blue cheese to the salad for an extra zing. The bulgar will plump up much like couscous. I found it's often more times cost efficient to buy this in bulk.

Tabbouleh Confetti Salad

1 1/2 cup bulgur wheat
1 Roma tomato diced
1 cucumber diced
3-5 mint leaves julienned
1/4 cup olive oil
2-4 TBSP lemon juice
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 cup feta or blue cheese optional

The bulgar wheat I purchase for around a dollar required me to rice my wheat several times. Next it asked me to add boiling water to it and let it sit with enough water covering the bulgar. After the thirty minutes, I drained the bulgur in a colander and squeezed out the excess water with my hands.

To the bulgar I added the cucumber, tomato, and mint leaves, along with the olive oil and lemon juice. I seasoned with salt and pepper and covered it with plastic wrap. Into the fridge it goes to sit and cool. Remove it from the fridge and taste for seasoning and acidity. You may add more mint if you wish. Serve as a side or as a main dish.






No comments:

Post a Comment