Thursday, June 19, 2014

Fresh Corn and Avocado Salad


The bi-colored corn has arrived! I went grocery shopping today and the corn is finally looking hearty. My family loves creamed corn but I wanted to try something new as a side for BBQ chicken. By the way, I saved some money by buying chicken quarters and cutting them apart myself. I then had enough chicken for two meals. The chicken thighs and drums I baked at 375 degrees for 45 minutes. I added the BBQ about 20 minutes before pulling out of the oven.

This recipe is perfect for picnics and can sit in the fridge until you are ready to use it. You can also vary the veggies in this salad. I used one corn cob per person.

Corn and Avocado Salad

4 corn stalks
1/2 red pepper
1 small onion diced
1 large Roma tomato seeded and diced
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup blue cheese (I used shredded)
1/4 cup vinegar
1 TBSP sugar
1 tsp. lemon juice
1/2 avocado in chunks
salt and pepper
1 tsp. Thyme

Firstly heat a large pot full of water. Add the shucked corn into the boiling water mix in the sugar and let simmer for 3-5 minutes. Remove from the boiling water and place in a bowl with cold water and ice cubes. This will stop the cooking process. Once cooled, with the wide end on a cutting board start from the top of the corn with the blade of a knife as close to the cob as possible. Remove all of the corn and reserve in a large bowl.
Add the onion, red pepper, cheese, and lastly the avocado. (Here is where the lemon juice comes in handy. It will keep the avocado from turning brown) In a separate bowl mix the vinegar, lemon juice, oil, salt and pepper, and Thyme. Pour over the corn salad and refrigerate. Taste before serving and add salt and pepper accordingly.

No comments:

Post a Comment