Saturday, June 7, 2014

Mini Cream Puffs on The Weekend

I got my free can of Reddi-wip coupon in the mail this week and it inspired me to make some cream puffs. My grandma was such a good cook and would make cream puffs and eclairs. This was my first attempt. I followed directions but felt mine were a little too brown. We will eat them all I am sure lol I think the ones I made in a glass baking dish turned out better. Next time I think I will spread out parchment on a baking sheet first so the bottoms don't get so brown.

Here's how I did it. You will need a hand mixer, a pastry bag (or zip loc bag with a end clipped off), and a wooden spoon.

Mini Cream Puffs (24)

1 cup water
1 stick unsalted butter cut into pats
1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 tsp. sugar
1 cup flour
4-5 eggs depending on size ( I used mediums)
1 large can of Reddi-Wip
powdered sugar for dusting
Your favorite berries (optional)


Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Add the water, butter, salt, and sugar to a large sauce pan. Bring to a rolling boil and take off the heat. Add the flour and return to the heat for 30-60 seconds stirring with a wooden spoon. It will get foamy. Heat for 1-2 minutes so the mixture loses some of the water content. Remove from the heat and add the eggs one at a time. Use the hand mixer after the addition of the egg being sure to wipe down the sides.




Add the batter to a pastry bag. It will be thick. Pipe onto a baking sheet in round buns. (about a inch across.) Bake in the 425 degree oven for 15 minutes. Reduce the heat to 375 degrees and bake 25 minutes more. Start checking on them at the last 10 minute mark. Remove if they become too brown. Remove from the oven and let cool at least 10 minutes. Cut the puffs open with a serrated knife. Add Reddi-Wip to each puff. Dust with powdered sugar. Eat as soon as possible or fill them right before the dessert. Another option is you can add fresh berries to the cream puffs with the whipped cream.
Here's how they look on the inside.












The kids can help out with this step. 

No comments:

Post a Comment