Sunday, June 22, 2014

Blueberry Streusel Muffins: Special Breakfast Day

Every Sunday is "Special Breakfast Day" here in my house. It's a time when we are all in the house at the same time and can all be at the table together. This has been especially hard lately with sleepovers and camp coming up. This muffin is a breakfast all in it's own. It reminds me of the Mrs. Field's muffins I used to make when I was a Assistant Manager there way back in the 90's. Anyhow I know you will fall in love with this muffin and it's delicious cinnamon streusel topping!
the streusel soaks down into the muffin

Blueberry Streusel Muffins
the underside 

1 1/2 cup flour
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp. baking powder
1 large egg
1/3 cup oil
1 tsp. lemon juice
1/2 cup. milk (I use Fat free)
1 1/2 cup frozen blueberries

Streusel

1/2 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup flour
1 pkg. instant oatmeal (about 1 cup)
1/4 cup butter cut into cubes
2 tsp. cinnamon

For the muffins preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Add all of the dry ingredients and stir. Mix together the egg, oil, lemon juice, and milk. The batter should not be really thick but more like a cake batter. Thin out with more milk if too thick. Lastly fold in the blueberries. I strongly recommend using liners. I buttered my tin and had to run a knife around to remove.

Make the streusel with a pastry cutter. It should have a crumbly texture. Pile on top of each muffin tin. Bake for 20-25 minutes. I recommend looking at them at the 20 minute mark. They are done when a knife or toothpick comes clean when pricked. I dare you to eat only one!

No comments:

Post a Comment