Friday, June 27, 2014

Jalapeno Hushdogs (puppies) with Chili



I felt a bit like a short order cook today. My oldest had wanted my chili cheese fries and I wanted
hush puppies. I call them hushdogs because they are so big. They are the perfect side for my chili. Yes chili in June!   It has been so cold here on Lake Michigan.The jalapeno adds a zip to this perfect cornbread goodness. I hope it warms up for the 4th!

Jalapeno Hushdogs 15-20 large or up to 30 small

1 cup cornmeal
1 cup flour
2 tsps. baking powder
1/3 cup sugar
2 eggs
1/3 cup milk
1/2 jalapeno pepper minced
3 inches vegetable oil

Heat a large pan with olive oil. The oil is ready when you see the bottom of the pan begin to ripple. Add a pinch of the batter into the oil and it will begin to bubble.

Add all of the dry ingredients in a mixing bowl and combine. Add the eggs and gradually add the milk and jalapeno. The batter will be thick. Use a tablespoon (for large) or a teaspoon (for small) to add the batter into the oil. It will initially fall to the bottom but in a minute or two your hushdogs will float to the top. These take 2-3 minutes per side. Flip over when you see them light brown. Drain on paper towels and serve by themselves or as a side to chili.
This is how my Mom made chii and how I still make it today. You can substitute tomato juice for the tomato soup if you like. Sometimes I add 8 oz. of beer right after I brown the meat and then reduce the amount of water I add. This gives the soup more body.

Mom's Chili

1 lb ground beef
1 onion diced
1 large can stewed tomatoes chopped into pieces
2 cans chili beans in sauce drained
2 cans Campbell's tomato soup (small)
3-4 bean cans full of water
1 tsp. salt
2-4 TBSP chili powder
10 dashes of hot sauce

Brown the ground beef and onions together breaking into small clumps. Drain off any fat several times along the way.  We like it with larger piece of meat. Next add beer if you'd like and let it bubble for 2-3 minutes or add the diced tomatoes and let them do the same. Add the beans and the tomato soup. Lastly add the water and chili powder. This soup doesn't need to sit for very long. I simmer it on low for 30 minutes tops. Add the salt and hot sauce to taste. I also serve the hot sauce on the side along with sour cream and cheese on top.






No comments:

Post a Comment