Sunday, January 6, 2013

My 3 1/2 Days in the Hospital and New Beginnings

I haven't blogged in the last week because unfortunately I have been in the hospital. I have suffered with IBS symptoms for years and a few years back I was supposed to have a colonoscopy to confirm Celiac disease. Around the same time I also had a chance to be a stem cell donor for someone. That gave me the perfect excuse not to get the colonoscopy. I have been dealing with the stomach issues on my own but 3-4 times a week at it's peak. Flash forward to this past week...on Thursday morning at about 3 AM I experienced the worst abdominal pain I have ever felt accompanied with some bleeding. This scared me more than anything and prompted me to finally seek the help of my doctor.

Frankly, I was embarrassed.  I have known my doctor for 15 years but have never had this type of exam. I think that is why so many people have a fear of going into a colonoscopy. Sure it's embarrassing to some extent and the prep you have to drink tastes horrible. I also had some other procedures but when you are sick, you learn to put aside your modesty. But overall, the procedures were forgetful  Literally. I was given a numbing medication for my throat for the endoscopy and some medication that put me in a twilight sleep. I woke up near the end but didn't have any discomfort during the procedure.

I still don't know exactly what is wrong. The doctor is leaning towards Colitis. We are waiting for all the tests to come back yet. My main point is to encourage those that are embarrassed by symptoms or like me put everyone else before yourself, put yourself first.

All of this made my family realize how much I do for them. And how much I rely on them. My kids are my life. I have been suffering in silence all these years and avoiding certain situations. That has diminished my life. I am looking forward to the journey to find out what is wrong. I am doing so much to better my life. I am glad all this happened when I am on a break from school. School starts at the end of the month and I can't be more excited to move forward!

No comments:

Post a Comment