Thursday, January 10, 2013

Low Country Rice Pilaf Review

I still am not feeling the greatest still but had to go for work. I need something that can be on the table in about 20 minutes and this fit the bill. I did cheat a bit and had my hubby make the rice in the rice cooker ahead of time. We use Riceland rice that we buy in a huge 20lb bag. I haven't had Minute Rice since I was a single college student. Once you learn how to make long grain rice on the stove, you will never go back! 

I also had some pre-cooked shrimp that I had to defrost in some cold water. This recipe was from Myrecipes.com and also called for Old Bay seasoning. Be sure to use the one without the lemon. Our rice was good but a bit acidic. I also added a few pat of butter and some chicken soup base or bouillon because I thought I needed something. I also didn't use any oil and just softened my veggies in the reducing broth. 

Low Country Shrimp Pilaf 

1 1/2 c. green pepper
1 cup onion diced
1 TBSP garlic
2 tsps old bay seasoning
1 lb peeled and deveined shrimp
1/2 cup wine
1 8oz bottle of clam juice
1 1/2 cups white rice cooked (I didn't use the instant but long grain)
2 TBSP thyme 
1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes with jalapeno
chicken soup base or bouillon
2 pats butter
salt


Here is where I did my own thing. I am trying to avoid oil so I added the onion and pepper to the wine, clam juice, Old Bay, and Thyme. I let it come to a boil and reduced it for about 3 minutes. I then added the tomatoes and the pre-cooked shrimp. I only needed to heat the shrimp up for a few minutes. Then I added in the rice and let the rice soak up the tomato juice. I then removed it from the heat and added the few pats of butter and some salt. All in all we liked this recipe and it's something we would eat again. We were eating in about 15 minutes. 



No comments:

Post a Comment