Thursday, January 17, 2013

Salisbury Steak

I learned this one from my Mother-in-law a long time ago. When I was a kid and didn't know any better, one of my favorite TV dinners was the Salisbury steak dinner. Little did I know I would crave it all these years later. When my Mother-in-law was still alive, she passed down this recipe to me. I have been using it ever since. This is the perfect accompaniment to mashed potatoes and butter.

The patties I made on my indoor grill in about 8 minutes. You can pan fry them also. They need to be almost cooked though. They will cook the rest of the way in the gravy. All gravy starts the same. Flour, butter, and some kind of stock. I used beef bouillon in this case. I also sometimes use my onion soup in this gravy also.

Salisbury Steak and Gravy

The Patties

1 1/2 lb ground beef
10 Saltines crushed with your hands
salt and pepper
2 TBSP  milk

The Gravy

2 TBSP butter
2 TBSP flour
1 TBSP beef bouillon like Maggi
1 1/2 c. water or beef stock
5-10 mushrooms chopped

Mix the ground beef, saltines, salt, pepper, and milk in a bowl. Form into patties and grill or pan fry until nearly completely cooked though. In a separate stock pot add the butter and flour and stir with a whisk until the flour is a light brown. Add the bouillon or beef stock and stir until the lumps are all out of the gravy. Add the mushrooms and cook the gravy until it thickens. Add salt and pepper. Add the patties to the gravy and let the patties cook through. Serve over your favorite mashed potatoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment