Monday, May 7, 2012

Made it to 10,010 Views: Cilantro Lime Shrimp

Woohoo! I made it to 10,010 views of my blog! Thanks so much to all of you that read and follow me. I love to write and cook because it gives me an outlet. I also enjoy reading your blogs too! I have made some really good friends on the Disboards.com where we also exchange ideas and recipes. I hope to write more about my summer adventures in the next few months!

This weekend I made Cilantro/Lime Shrimp. I am mildly allergic to shrimp but love the flavor. It sometimes makes me itchy so I have to be careful. I have a bottle of Benedryl on hand just to be safe. I know you are saying "Why not avoid shrimp?"  I love the taste and I can deal with the hives.

I cannot however eat lobster and have not had it in about 20 years. I had some lobster bisque by a friends house an started breaking out in hives. By the next morning my eyes were swollen shut, I was covered in painful hives from head to toe, and my extremities were swollen. Luckily I was able to breathe. It took about a good week before I got back to normal. Over the years I have discovered some other food allergies and deal with them as need be. Anywhoo... here is the recipe. We served it with couscous. I buy it in bulk from our local Outpost store. It's getting kind of pricey with store brands such as Far East.  It's really easy to make with a 1:1 ratio of liquid to cous cous.

Cilantro Lime Shrimp (serves 4)

1 lb shrimp ( I used deveined precooked shrimp)
2 TBSP lemon juice or the juice of a small lemon
1/8 tsp Cayenne
1/2 tsp Cumin
1/4 tsp Cinnamon
1/2 tsp Curry Powder
1 hand full cilantro Julienned
4 TBSP butter

1 cup of couscous made with chicken stock


Prepare the shrimp. If you are going with fresh or uncooked shrimp I recommend buying them devained. I used 41/50 count shrimp which means you get 41-50 shrimp per pound. I did pull off the tails. To defrost, put the shrimp in a medium bowl with cool water. Let sit for 5 minutes and dump and refill the water until the shrimp are defrosted.

After the shrimp are defrosted and drained, add all the seasoning except for the cilantro. Give a stir. Heat the butter in a frying pan and add the shrimp. Since mine are pre-cooked this part goes pretty fast. Cook about 3 minutes per side until a nice pink and no longer opaque.

Remove from the heat and add the lime and cilantro. Serve over cous cous.

No comments:

Post a Comment