Sunday, May 6, 2012

Lazy Sunday Edamame, Sausage, and Potato Hash

This week I have been cooking a lot from Martha Stewart's Everyday Food Magazine I get as part of my subscription. I came across this recipe and changed a few ingredients. It is an excellent way to sneak in protein for those who either don't eat meat or those who don't like veggies like my hubby. He will eat a bowl of edamame like it's popcorn however! My version contains sausage rather than bacon. If you aren't a bacon eater it doesn't necessarily agree with you if you try to eat it.

You can prep this the night before so you are ready to rock and roll in the morning. I par boiled the potatoes whole by placing them in a pot of water and boiling for about 25 minutes. I then drained out the boiling water and covered them with cool water and put them in the fridge overnight. In the morning I peeled them and diced them. If you do this your potatoes won't turn funky brown because of the air.

The edamame you can prep by placing the frozen pods in a microwave safe bowl. Add 2 TBSP of water and cover with Saran wrap. Microwave for 5 minutes. Remove the soybeans from their pod by squeezing into a bowl. Otherwise, you will be chasing down the beans all over your kitchen.


Edamame, Sausage, and Potato Hash (serves 4)

The Ingredients:
4 par boiled potatoes diced
1/2 tube Jones' mild sausage in the tube
10 oz. edamame steamed and shelled
1/2 onion diced
1/2 green pepper diced
2 TBSP oil
salt and pepper



Firstly I browned the sausage, green pepper, and onion together in the same pan. I added 2 TBSP of oil just in case but the sausage does make it's own oil. Once browned I removed to a paper plate lined with paper towels.

Next I drained off a bit of the oil and left about 2-3 TBSP in the pan. I added the par boiled diced potatoes and covered with a lid. I let sit for about 5 minutes until it began to brown. I kept turning the potatoes every few minutes until they were browned. Total time about 15 minutes.

Add the sausage, green pepper, onion, and shelled edamame. Heat through for about 5 more minutes. Serve with your favorite eggs. Today I made over medium.

No comments:

Post a Comment