Monday, December 8, 2014

Chili Mac...Warms Your Body on a Cold Winter Day

I have been freezing all day. In Wisconsin, we think the 30's is warm. It really is but I think I got a chill at the 5K I walked on Saturday. This chili mac is everything you love about the soup without all of the liquid. Wisconsin cheese added on top makes for the perfect bite. My girl Angie used to invite me over to her house when I was single and make this for me. This is how my Mom taught me how to make chili. (she thinks she invented it.) I have tweaked the recipe over the years to find out what we like. To make a whole chili add water to the soup can and the two bean cans.

Chili Mac

1 lb lean ground beef
1/2 of a large onion diced
1 large can stewed tomatoes chopped and drained
2 cans of red beans or kidney beans drained
2 small cans Campbell's tomato soup
2-4 TBSP chili powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup cheddar cheese
2-4 shakes hot sauce
1 lb cooked macaroni pasta

Brown the ground beef and onion in a frying pan with high sides. Drain off the fat once or twice and break the meat up into larger pieces. Season a few times with salt as you go. Once no longer pink, add the tomatoes, beans, and chili powder, and salt. Let cook for 10 minutes or so to combine flavors. Cook the pasta and drain. Fold into the chili and add the cheese. Serve with your favorite condiments such as sour cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment