Saturday, December 20, 2014

Christmas Cupcakes

I found this on Pinterest. I have been so busy with the end of my internship and school for the semester that I didn't have time to go out and shop for gifts for my co-workers. I did pick up some holiday Fun Fetti cake mix and frosting each for .99 and also purchased some cones. This project was under $4.00. My daughter baked the cupcakes while I prepped the cones. Easy peasy and these were a big hit at work. No offset spatula? I used a butter knife.
1) The Fun Fetti icing was already green but I added 20 drops of green food coloring and stirred. I used a half a jar to start off with. I crumb coated each cone. Then I put them in the freezer for 5 minutes to set up. The cupcakes were left to cool.

2) I used a star tip purchased at the grocery store. I cut one end off a large zip loc bag. I fit the star tip into the corner and used a big spoon to put the icing into the bag. I placed the icing on the trees pulling back and making short strokes to make the branches.

3) Candy such as red hots or jimmies, even M&M's can be pressed into the icing. Back into the fridge to set. Sprinkle with powdered sugar. I only used one can for the whole project.

4) Make white frosting for the cupcakes. 2 cups confectioners sugar, 1/2 tsp. vanilla,  and two TBSP milk. If it's not thick enough, stir in a additional 1/2 cup. Let set up in the fridge for a half hour. Frost the cup cakes. Save some icing for the bottom of the cones to help them adhere to the cup cakes. Attach the cones to the cup cakes. I used the actual muffin tin to transport them to my work.


No comments:

Post a Comment