Saturday, March 29, 2014

Review of Crock Pot Pork and Cabbage Goulash and Dill Dumplings WW 10PTS

This was intended to be cooked in a dutch oven and baked for one hour. I chose the crock pot route. I added the cabbage and onion to the bottom of the pot and the added the pork cubes dusted with Paprika on the top. I added 2 cups of the broth and the tomato paste and seasoned with salt. Then I covered it and came back 5 hours later (I cooked it on high) Then I moved it to a large stock pot and added the last cup of broth and brought the whole mixture to a boil. I made my own dumplings my way so see the recipe below.

Serving size is 1 dumpling with 3/4 cup of cabbage broth  10pts.
From the Family Style WW Cookbook

Goulash:
3/4 boneless pork shoulder, trimmed
cut into 1 inch cubes
1 large onion chopped
2 garlic cloves finely chopped
1 TBSP paprika
3 cups reduced sodium chicken broth.
1 TBSP tomato paste
2 cups thinly sliced cabbage

Here is where I really deviated I used my own dumpling recipe. They say to use low fat Bisquick, but I found it has an entirely different flavor. I used my own egg dumpling recipe:
Egg and dill dumplings

1 cup flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder.
3/4 cup milk
1 TBSP dill (about 1/2 if you are using dried)
1 egg (or egg beaters)
1 tsp salt

Mix all of the ingredients in the bowl and add by tablespoons to the broth. Bring down to a low and cover. Simmer for 10-12 minutes without peeking. The dumplings will be huge!
When I initially tasted this I thought it needed something. But with the addition of the dill dumplings, the flavor was elevated. I am not sure how the point total is so high? You are using pork which is very lean. All in all I thought it was pretty good.




No comments:

Post a Comment