Sunday, March 23, 2014

Crock Pot Pearl Barley Risotto 5 WW PTS.

3/4 cup. Barley Risotto
I love risotto which can be made with a number of pastas, rice, and grains. Today I am trying the WW recipe for Pearl Barley Risotto. This is absolutely one of my favorite dishes to get when I dine out. Bartolotta's has an amazing one. Even better this one is made in the crock pot. I found Pearl Barley at our store called the Outpost. This also can be found at most grocers. I find it cheaper when you buy in bulk though.

The ingredients are pretty simple too. I've been to wine tastings but still don't consider myself a wine pro. I went to a liquor store today and the guy didn't know much about wine either. They say to cook with a good wine you would like to drink. I chose this Rooster white wine. Tastes good to me lol I am going to try to coax my 3rd shift hubby out of bed today to grill some chicken on our new grill. I also froze some asparagus a few weeks ago and will be adding a bag of that towards the end.

Pearl Barley Risotto (From WW Family Style Cookbook) 3/4 cup serving =5pts.

1/2 cup white wine
1 cup pearl barley rinsed
2 3/4 chicken stock or veggie stock
1 onion diced (book says 2 shallots)
1 cup peas or veggie of your choice frozen
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
1/4 tsp salt

Add all of the ingredients in the crock pot and leave. Don't add the veggies and parm until about 25 minutes before serving.  It did say to cook on low for 4-5 hours but I found the liquid wasn't evaporating quickly enough. I set it to high and kept stirring it. I did stir mine about every hour. I started on low and at the half way mark it looked like the liquid wasn't evaporating enough. I then turned it to high for the remainder.

The taste was good but the texture is really different than rice. My house smelled really good though.


No comments:

Post a Comment