Saturday, March 22, 2014

Review of WW Tuscan Lamb with Rosemary Gremolata


Tuscan Lamb with Rosemary Gremolata

1 serving is one lamb shank and 3/4 cups beans and sauce for 9 pts. I added potatoes and will figure out the points for those.

4 6 oz lamb shanks
1/4 tsp. salt
1 onion finely chopped
3 celery stalks chopped
1 14 oz can of petite diced tomatoes
1/2 cup red wine
10 kalamata olives pitted and chopped
1/2 cup water (omit if crock pot)
1 15oz can navy beans rinsed and drained

For the gremolata
grated zest of 1 lemon
1 TBSP chopped fresh rosemary
1 garlic clove minced

I only used two lamb shanks. Here in WI we don't have butchers like in other big cities. I had to settle for frozen ones and they are quite pricey at about $7.00-10.00 each. This is of course not something I would make every day but perfect for a weekend long roast in the crock pot or oven. I also added some new potatoes and some leftover squash.

I plan on serving it over couscous. The recipe says serving is one shank but I don't think that's possible. The shanks are pretty big and I just plan on shredding the meat off the bone. This makes it a little hard to count points. The house does smell great though.


Problem one. The shanks wouldn't fit into my crock pot. The suggested method is roasting for 1 hour twenty minutes. The time is longer for the crock pot. I have them in there with tin foil over the top. It seems to be going pretty good. I first started the shanks on the stove in some very hot olive oil. I seasoned the shanks with sea salt and pepper. They browned for around 8-10 minutes. I next added the onion and celery and let them get soft for around 5 minutes. I then added the wine and deglazed the pan. I brought it up to a boil and scraped  I poured the sauce over the shanks in the crock pot and let them go in the crock pot for around 6 hours on high. I checked periodically and switched the lamb over so both sides would cook. I also didn't add the extra water. There was plenty of liquid with the tomato juice and wine. I in-fact had to drain out some of the liquid several times.


I shredded the meat off of the bone instead of giving everyone a shank. Be sure to remove the rosemary sprigs. There was a lot of meat. I also served it over couscous. Instead of making the gremolata, I added the rosemary and garlic to the braising liquid. I thought the taste of the dish was very good. But at 9 pts. (not including the couscous or potatoes) It's a lot unless you are using your extra points. We still have a lot left over.

No comments:

Post a Comment