Saturday, July 21, 2012

Shrimp Salad: Easy Summertime Pasta Salad

I have been making shrimp salad for as long as I can remember. I had it by my neighbors' house for a celebration and as soon as I was old enough to make it myself I have! I use a mixture of pre cooked shrimp and canned. To cut back on calories you can replace the mayo with fat free mayo or fat free sour cream. I love peas with this recipe. I used canned in this particular one but you can very easily unthaw frozen peas by placing them in a cup of cold water and draining.

Here is the very easy pleasy shrimp salad. For us this is a meal but it will be a big hit at any pot luck or picnic.
Shrimp Salad:

  • 1 lb Shell Noodles, boiled, drained and cooled
  • 1 can of small to medium shrimp drained
  • half a lb of pre-cooked shrimp(tails cut off) also diced but bigger chunks
  • 1/2 mayo of your choice (or use fat free sour cream as a sub) you may need to ad more
  • 1 can of drained peas or 1 cup frozen peas unthawed and drained
  • 1/2 onion diced
  •  2 stalks of celery diced
  • 1 tsp salt
I use a huge That's a Bowl and dump everything in except for the peas. I don't want to crush them so I wait until I am sure I won't be mixing it a lot. This can be made the night before. The noodles tend to suck up the mayo so I start off with a half cup and then season with salt and pepper. Before you are going to serve check for mayo and seasoning. Sometimes I like to add dill to this recipe. It gives it an entirely different flavor.


No comments:

Post a Comment