Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Chili Rubbed Pork Chops With Pineapple Salsa

It is still hotter than Hades here in WI and it's an opportunity to make my hubby grill outdoors. I don't have to work nights anymore. Yeah! to more family time. Boo to having no income from my job. It mostly went to groceries but it this economy, every little bit helps! One thing that still is a constant is my grocery bill. Luckily, I am pretty good at menu planning.  I still have 1 more week of Math after this one and then I can enjoy a month of Summer vacation before another semester of school.

Anywhoo, here's back to dinner. I have fallen in love with brining. I brine chicken, and now pork chops. It makes the pork chops or meat you are using very moist. The ratio I use is 2 TBSP salt to 2 cups water. Make sure to cover the chops with plastic wrap. Let sit in the fridge for 2-3 hours. Remove from brine and give a rinse. Then rub them in the chili-lime rub below.


Here is what we made today:

Chili Rubbed Boneless Pork Chops w/ Pineapple Salsa


Brine
2 TBSP Salt to 2 cups water

Chili Rub

2 TBSP Chili Powder
1/2 TBSP garlic powder
2 TBSP lime juice

Pineapple Salsa

1 can of drained Pineapple tidbits
1/2 jalapeno seeded and finely minced
1/2 onion of your choice
1/2 green or red pepper
a dash of salt



The salsa comes together very easily. Add all the ingredients and refrigerate.

Brine the pork chops for up to 4 hours in the salt solution. Remove from brine and rinse off excess salt. Pat dry with a paper towel. Mix together the rub ingredients with the lime juice and with your fingers rub into each side of the chops. I used boneless chops. You will not need to add any salt to the rub. Grill on the grill of your choice. We use a gas grill. Set pork chops on the grill and close the lid. To get the grill marks move the chops 1/4 turn. Grill on  each side for about 3-5 minutes. Remove from grill and let pork chops rest covered with tin foil. Serve with the salsa on top. And enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment