Sunday, April 20, 2014

Another Easter in the Books

Every holiday I pretty much make the same things either ham or turkey. We had an 11 pounder bone in ham this year.I scored the ham in a checkerboard pattern and then inserted cloves into the centers of those squares. I adorned the ham with three slices of pineapple in a Mickey Mouse pattern and fastened them to the ham with cloves. Roasted pineapple is delicious and we always fight over who gets to eat it.   I always use the same glaze of pineapple juice, ginger ale, and orange juice and baste the ham about every half hour. I let it roast for around 3 hours in a 325 degree oven. I ended up covering it half way through because the sugar was really caramelizing.

I also made fluff which is a pack of orange Jell-o, 1 container cottage cheese, 1 container Cool Whip, and 1 can crushed pineapple drained. This is a pretty versatile dessert and can also be made with mandarin orange or any flavor Jell-o.

The mashed potatoes I make with cream cheese or sour cream, butter, milk, garlic, and salt and pepper along with some dinner rolls that always go quick.  The devilled eggs I always do the night before. We have a vegetable. Today I made some broccoli in the microwave that I had in the freezer.

My husband found a mold that was my Mother-in-laws of a sheep cake. It didn't turn out as well as I would have liked and I think I may cut the sugar down from one cup to 1/2 cup. Here is what I made:

Yellow Cake
This can be made in 2 9x13's or a mold filled twice.

2 cups flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup sugar
3 large eggs
2 tsp vanilla
3/4 cup milk

Set the oven to 350 degrees. Sift together all of the dry ingredients and then add the wet. Blend until all is incorporated. Butter and flour a 9x13 pan. Bake for 25-35 minutes or until a toothpick or knife comes clean. I only had one half of this mold so I made it twice and but frosting between each layer. I frosted with store bought frosting.

No comments:

Post a Comment