Saturday, August 9, 2014

Review of Sara Moulton's Bacon, Tomato, and Egg Pie (BLT Pie)

I love quiche and when I saw Sara Moulton's show on PBS, it brought the things I like the best bacon and quiche. The pie crust I love to use is Martha Stewart's recipe. I used the one for only one pie crust. I was amazed that Sara's recipe only called for 3 eggs. The thing I probably would have added with this recipe is a tsp. of baking powder. My pie didn't come out as high as hers and I did add a 4th egg. She also layered tomatoes on the bottom which I did not. I used two really big Roma tomatoes. The caramelized onions added a sweetness.  Overall I liked the flavor of the pie. I used turkey bacon instead of regular bacon (3 strips diced)  The tomatoes and the Mayo taste great together. She also salted her tomatoes before hand which enhanced the flavor.

Here's how I made it:

The Crust

1 stick of butter cut into slices
1 1/4 cup flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp sugar
2-4 TBSP ice cold water

I love using the food processor for this crust. I pulse all of the ingredients until I see the dough begin to come together. It looks a little crumbly and you can see butter in the dough. Remove the dough to a piece of plastic wrap and shape with your hands into a disc. The dough should come together without much kneading. Put in the fridge for at least a hour.
Flour both your rolling pin and your surface. Roll out the dough starting in the middle and working your way out. Turn the dough 1/3 turn until you have a circle that will cover a pie pan with a little room to spare on the edges. Set the pie crust in the pan and be careful not to rip the bottom.  Use your fingers to pinch the pie crust around the top and prick holes in the bottom of the crust.
sprinkle both sides with salt and let sit

The BLT Pie Filling (my adaptation)

4 eggs
2-4 large Roma tomatoes sliced thinly
3 slices cooked crispy turkey bacon diced
1 onion diced
3/4 cup skim or fat-free milk
1/2 cup Mayo (I used the real thing here)
1/4 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp salt
pinch of Cayenne
1 tsp. baking powder

I didn't make the L part or the lettuce part of this recipe. She has a recipe for a nice dressing on the PBS site but I didn't add the salad to mine. We did eat this for dinner. Kids love breakfast for dinner.
Brown the onions for 5 minutes in a bit of oil and cool.
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Layer some of the tomatoes on the bottom of the crust.
Mix the eggs and milk and beat with a whisk. Add the Mayo, cooled onions,  bacon, salt, pepper and cayenne, and baking powder. Once fully mixed add to the pie crust. Layer the top of the pie with more tomatoes.

I baked mine for 35 minutes and found the crust wasn't all the way baked. You may want to go 40-45 minutes. You are looking for the inside to be set. Serve with the side salad or on it's own.




No comments:

Post a Comment