Saturday, July 27, 2013

My First Fondue Pot: Beer Cheese Foudue

We Wisconsinites are really into our cheese and beer! A long time ago, my hubby and I went for a fondue dinner at The Melting Pot but it is sooo expensive! Long story short...my Aunt Sharon was having a rummage sale and had this fondue set (never been used) for only $4.00.

As soon as we got home I took a loaf of French bread I had in the freezer and thawed it in the oven for about 5 minutes. I then cubed it and added some veggies to the plate. This particular fondue had beer in it but you could omit it if you don't care for the taste.

If you care for a lighter taste you can stick with the traditional Gruyere cheese.

Beer Cheese Fondue

8 oz Wisconsin cheddar
8 oz Wisconsin Beer (Miller Lite here)
2 TBSP flour
2 TBSP butter
1 clove of garlic

I rubbed the inside of the fondue pot with a piece of garlic with the skin off. Then in a sauce pan I melted the butter and added the flour and browned the roux for a few minutes until light brown. I then added half of the beer and kept stirring the pot so there were no lumps. After the beer cooks down for a few more minutes, I added 1/2 the cheese. Then I added the rest of the beer and cheese until the cheese was fully melted. This way the fondue still has the beer tasted.  I put the cheese in the fondue pot and heated it with a tea lite candle.

We served the fondue with mushrooms, crusty bread, and cherry tomatoes. Delicious!



No comments:

Post a Comment