Sunday, March 17, 2013

BBQ Corned Beef Brisket, Cabbage, Red Potatoes and Carrots


Every year I make this recipe handed down from my mother-in-law, BBQ'd Corn Beef Brisket. I myself have been making this for 15 years. She passed away in 2007, but would be proud I have carried on the tradition. My hubby and I always reminisce about the year he ate an entire corned beef brisket by himself. I was waiting for him to come home before I ate and he ended up eating the whole thing by himself! Now I am smart and make it while he is sleeping!

When looking for a corned beef brisket make sure you choose one that isn't really fatty. Mine was about 3 pounds which never seems like enough!  Also make sure it has a seasoning packet. This not only gives flavor to the beef but to your cabbage.

BBQ Corned Beef Brisket with Cabbage, Red Potatoes, and Honey Glazed Carrots

The Carrots and Potatoes
Corned beef Boiling

1 lb. baby carrots or regular carrots cut into slices
2 TBSP honey
water for boiling
salt for seasoning

Boil the carrots until fork tender. I usually start them with the potatoes and they take about 30 minutes. Drain and add about 2 TBSP honey and a TBSP butter. Stir and heat for about 3 minutes on medium heat. Serve as a side to the corned beef.

The Potatoes

3 lbs red potatoes eyes removed and cut in half
enough water to cover the potatoes


Boil the potatoes for 30 minutes on medium high heat until fork tender
Mash them with a fork tableside and add butter and salt


The Corned Beef and Cabbage

Boil the corned beef in a large soup pot with the seasoning packet for 2 1/2-3 hours. I check the water level every hour. Remove from the water and reserve the water for the cabbage. Set the oven to 350 degrees. Make your own BBQ sauce or take the easy way out and use Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce. Baste the brisket with BBQ sauce and place in the oven in a roasting pan. Bake for about 30 minutes basting once or twice.
While the beef is in the oven cut the core out of the cabbage and cut the whole cabbage into fourths. Boil for 30 minutes while the BBQ is in the oven. Drain the cabbage from the liquid before serving and add a pat of butter.
Remove the corned beef from the oven and let sit for 5 minutes to cool. Slice and serve with the sides. Reserve 1/2 of the brisket and hide in an secret location.


No comments:

Post a Comment