Saturday, February 11, 2017

Samosas

Some of the best Samosas I ever had were from my Renal Dialysis class. We had a

special lunch to celebrate a baby shower. I regret not getting the recipe. I love the light dough and it was a chance for me to use our potato ricer. If you don't have one, you need to get one!  It makes the potatoes so fluffy and light. When I read the recipe online, I thought it would be too complicated, but once you start making them up, they get easier and easier to make. I love watching this PBS show called "Healthful Indian Flavors with Alemalu"  I have the cookbook available on Amazon and it has awakened my love for Indian Food. There is a Indian food store I like to frequent. Once you buy the spices, they keep for a long time and are used quite commonly in Indian cuisine. I recommend using a small rolling pin to get the dough as uniform as possible. I made the dough into balls and then rolled out the dough turning the dough until it make discs. The discs are then formed into cones by sealing the long sides of the dough.

Dough
2/14 c. Self Rising flour
6 TBSP cold butter cubed
9 TBSP ice water
2 cups veggie oil for frying

Filling

1 1/2 lbs boiled potatoes
1 serrano pepper minced
1 1/2 tsp ginger
1 cup frozen peas defrosted
2 TBSP oil
1 medium onion diced
1 tsp garlic minced
1 1/2 tsp Gram masala
1 tsp red Chile powder
1/2 tsp Turmeric
1 1/2 tsp salt
Mango chutney for dipping

In food processor make the dough by adding the cubed butter and pulsing the machine. Slowly add the iced water until a dough begins to form. It will look a bit crumbly. Don't over pulse. Add dough to a flowered surface and kneed until it comes together. Wrap with plastic wrap and refrigerate.

In a frying pan add the 2 TBSP oil and spices. mix and brown until you can smell them. Add the garlic, pepper, and onion. Cook until softened. Rice the potatoes and add the spices. Mix until combined. Lastly add the peas.
 Remove the chilled dough and divide into balls. The recipe says it makes 18 but we came out with 25 or more. Flour your service and roll out each ball into discs. Make a cone shape and use water to seal the edges. With the bottom open, add two tablespoons of potatoes. Seal the bottom edges and place on the counter flattening out the bottom and forming a triangle. Heat the oil. I used a cast iron skillet for frying and filled it half way up with oil. The oil is ready when you use a wooden spoon handle and see bubbles forming around it. Add the samosas in batches of 5 or so. Turn to crisp all sides. Total time is about 7 minutes. Serve with mango chutney.

No comments:

Post a Comment