Sunday, September 1, 2013

Lite Creamy Chicken Alfredo Homemade

My oldest has had a really rough road health wise for the last few weeks and I wanted to make something to cheer her up. One of her favorite dishes is chicken Alfredo.  If I were in a hurry I might go with the Ragu lite version of the sauce but I made mine from scratch. This was the second time today I used this method by using a roux. The only difference is I didn't brown it for the Alfredo. A roux is basically equal parts flour to butter and is a thickening agent for gravy, Cajun gumbo, and anything else you need to thicken. Browning the flour takes out the raw flavor. 

This recipe is enough for 5 people. We had pretty generous portions. I also wanted to give a shout out to my next door neighbor who is amazing! She brought us a huge bag of fresh produce from a family garden. I made a cucumber salad to go along with the Alfredo. 


Lite Chicken Alfredo 

1 large chicken breast diced and browned
2 TBSP butter
2 TBSP flour
2 cloves minced garlic
1 1/2 cup fat free milk
1/3 cup fat free sour cream 
1/3 cup Crystal farms parm. or your favorite brand 
salt and pepper
1 lb boiled pasta (linguine or spaghetti)

Brown the chicken breast in a bit of olive oil until no longer pink . Remove from the pan and melt the butter and add the flour. I didn't brown this because I wanted the sauce to stay as white as possible. Have a whisk handy and begin adding the milk. It is critical you don't leave the sauce alone at any point because it will burn. Heat the milk until you can begin to see bubbles form on the sides. Don't let the milk boil. Add the sour cream next. 

Keep the heat on a medium heat. Add the cheese and keep stirring until melted. Season with salt and pepper. If it becomes too thick add 1/4 cup water. Remove from heat add the chicken back in to warm and stir in drained pasta. Serve with your favorite garlic bread. 

No comments:

Post a Comment