Saturday, March 1, 2014

Oxtails in Tomato Gravy

I am not a Southerner but I wish I was! Don't worry, I am doing good on my Weight Watchers. I have extra points I can use for days like these. It's snowing here in WI again! This recipe bakes long and slow and sticks to your ribs. Don't know what ox meat tastes like? It tastes just like rib meat. Just like ribs you have to work at the piece a bit to get to the meat. I forgot the carrots this time but you can add them too. In my pack there was two big pieces and a whole bunch of little ones. The little ones are for the kids.

Oxtails and Tomato Gravy

1 pkg of oxtails (ask your butcher)sometimes they are frozen
fresh out of the oven
1 12 oz can tomato sauce
3 cups beef or chicken broth
bay leafs 2-3
hot sauce 10 shakes
salt and pepper
1 tsp oregano
1 cup good red wine
3 potatoes reserved and then cut into 4ths
1 onion reserved for the end with the potatoes
3-6 TBSP olive oil
Note: I wish I had a heavy cast iron baking dish. However I do I have a large stock pot and a casserole dish I use.

Place the olive oil in the large stock pot.Liberally season the pieces of oxtail and brown on all sides. Remove the oxtails and in the same pot place the tomato sauce, broth, and wine. Bring to a boil and add the oxtails back in or pour the sauce over the oxtails in the casserole. Cover with a heavy oven proof lid or tin foil. Bake for 2-3 hours. (2 should be fine) Carefully place the meat and sauce back into the stock pot along with the onion and potatoes.Here you could add carrot too. Boil for 15 minutes. Serve over rice with the sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment