Wednesday, October 2, 2013

My Mother-in-laws "Beer Soup"


Wisconsinites and beer go hand and hand. My Mother-in-law used to make this for my hubby growing up. I made it from memory and he says I got it pretty close. This soup is like a variation of  Italian wedding soup but with beer and root veggies. I also made it in the crock pot. This soup is nice and hardy and will get you through those winter days to come.  Yes it's 80 degrees out on October 1st, but reality check, this is Wisconsin!

The meatballs I browned a little before I added them to the crock pot in some Canola oil. Then I added the beer to this recipe and cooked it down for 3 minutes. I added that to the crock pot with the rest of the ingredients and cooked on high for 6 hours. Since the meatballs are going in the soup, there is no need to cook them all the way through. You just want to get them brown. No filler is needed also. Just the pure meat and some salt.

Beer Soup

1 lb ground beef made into tiny meatballs
1 container of beef stock
1 rutabaga diced
1 can diced tomatoes with juice 8-16oz can
1 can kidney beans drained
8 oz. of Miller Lite beer (Milwaukee represent!)
2 TBSP beef bullion

The instructions are easy! Dump everything in the crock pot. If there is not enough liquid, add water until the lid line in your crock pot. Set on low for 8 hours or high for 4-6 hours. Give a mix and taste for salt or add additional bullion if necessary. Enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment