Thursday, April 4, 2013

Bananas Foster Night

I love going to my local Woodman's and scoring clearance fruits. This week it was bananas. One of my favorite desserts to make is Bananas Foster. We haven't been to the Bahamas since 2011 but I was sure to bring back a bottle of banana rum. You can use any type of rum you would like, but I think the banana rum gives it a bit of something, something!  I also use brown sugar. You will see some recipes call for regular granulated sugar. This goes perfectly with vanilla ice cream and is very easy to make. The mix of caramel and rum is the perfect combination to pair with the ice cream.
Bananas Foster

4 bananas cut into slices
1/4 cup rum
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 TBSP butter

1 piece of spaghetti

First melt the butter and add the sugar. The sugar will begin to melt and bubble. Add the rum. Use a piece of spaghetti and light it with the burner flame. Place the flame into the rum and it will begin to burn off the alcohol. Keep your face away from the flame! It will burn out in a minute or two. Add the bananas and cook for 3 minutes. The sauce will thicken. Serve hot over vanilla ice cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment